7.09.2013

Only one week? REALLY?

Well, it seems like at least a month, but a week ago yesterday was the day my Salon article was published, and all of this started.

I've found an agent, Linda Loewenthal of the David Black Agency, and we're very excited to be working together! Linda is passionate about women's issues and spirituality, the two things this book is all about. I have done two interviews for Australia's Channel Nine and Channel Seven (the second one was more fun, maybe because it wasn't my first) and a couple for online magazines.

However, I've decided not to do any more interviews until the book comes out. Something I have learned in the past week is that when your whatever-you-did draws controversy, you have to be very careful about keeping yourself sane. There will be awesome supporters and angry critics, and especially folks who are offering "constructive" criticism. I appreciate the engagement-- I think this is a conversation which is badly overdue, the oppressive nature of the "looks-first" values forced down women's throats-- but believe me, I now have lots of folks who are ready to help me shape the project. If you really feel like you have something to tell me, please email my agent and she may incorporate consistent critique into her feedback for me. Also, arranging and doing interviews takes time and keeps me from actually finishing the damn thing. I'd rather write a book and have a chance at making a real change than be a flash in the pan who never published because she went crazy.

In any case, I see all the controversy as a good sign: people clearly feel very strongly about this, and if we are all firm but respectful maybe we can shift things in the right direction, for women AND men. I may be overly idealistic, but I can't help that: I think that our culture needs to change, now, and that we can do it if we want to. If I piss you off I'm sorry (sometimes). Don't buy the book, and we can both go about our business.

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on your agent! Can't wait to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you certainly ought to watch this: Dustin Hoffman on Tootsie.

    Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having the choice to dress modestly and being forced to are two different things. That being said, I think that there is always something to be learned about walking in another's shoes, so to speak, and I think your experiment is timely and beautiful. Thank you for your insights, and I agree, there are pros and cons to both dressing stylishly or modestly.

    ReplyDelete