7.10.2013

THANK YOU!!

I don't have much time today, but I want to take a minute and thank the people, from the bottom of my heart, who have chosen to share their struggles with beauty/ modesty/ masculinity/ motherhood etc. with me after reading about the project. I have learned so much in the past few days about the beautiful relationships some women have with their physical appearance, the painful struggles to accept oneself, and the various spiritual reasons and rewards for covering.

I'm so sorry that I haven't had time to respond to all of your very detailed, carefully thought out emails to me, but again, I need to finish this book so that when it's on the shelves, we can keep engaging in this issue. If you haven't yet shared your story with me, please feel free to do so: your responses are helping me compile my information, and some responses may be included in the book (with your permission and your name changed, of course).

Again, THANK YOU so much for your generosity and trust. I truly appreciate it.

OH! Also, check out this awesome article by a woman who covers, and what goes through her mind when she sees bikini-clad women:

http://www.djiboutijones.com/2012/05/hijab-and-bikinis-sexy-oppressive/

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lauren! i'm from malaysia and i am really excited about ur experiment! well, i just want to share abt our (muslim) culture in Malaysia.. even though we need to cover our body and stuff, there are many ways for us to look good even with our bodies covered, the muslim fashion has developed and what i'm trying to say is that, even with covering up, you can still be fashionable if you want to, because there is no restriction towards it.. our fashion is not limited to only black dresses and black hijabs, we can also be experimental with our clothing and stuff.. it's really great and if you want to cover up and be a little bit stylish, you can check out muslim fashion where i think has developed well nowadays and is modest to wear :D p/s: will support your experiment sis! can't wait for the results ^_^

    ReplyDelete